UI Designers dilemma !!!
Posted by sureshkrishna on December 7, 2007
Eclipse Visual Editor, NetBeans Matisse project and Instantiations SWT Designer are wonderful WYSIWYG editors that i have used till now. With few projects that i have done, i have always hand coded the UI’s. And of course i have done UI development on the Eclipse through out. So all the perspectives, views, editors, wizards, preferences and properties are hand coded and i am quite comfortable with it. I do agree that probably it takes more time for me to hand code but i feel “personally” satisfied.
When i discuss this with few of my colleagues, there are for and against the UI Designers. For me and many others, Layouts and adjusting the controls on the screen are the challenges. I do spend a lot of time in adjusting the controls in a layout.
Why they like UI Designers…
- UI can be build very very fast, without knowing whats in the code
- With the advanced UI Designers, its easy to adjust/auto-adjust the Layouts
- The easy-to-use drag-and-drop paradigm makes it easy to quickly visualize
- Properties are set in the palette and the same is reflected dynamically on the UI preview
- Control and Widget hierarchy is what many appreciate. I know precisely, which controls are in UI
Why they want to handcode…
- I can code. I am a developer. I am used to it.
- Code generated by UI Designers are not optimized. I want my code to be optimized.
- Many a times, generated code is not readable to customize.
- It might make me less creative and insecure, as i do not know whats happening at the code level.
I am sure many of us share some of the above views and you might definitely have great experience in building UIs. Its really interesting to know, if there are really more number of developers who would use UI Designers. For now i would stick to the hand-coding. Do share your experiences with the UI Designers …